Integrated Rhythms Nanodegree
School-age children who struggle with language processing, balance, or motor skills can benefit from StepUp to Learn. Program exercises require children to move, listen, and organize speech patterns simultaneously. Each program includes 160 days of exercises linking motor skills, rhythm, and repetition with curriculum.
Earn 1.2 AOTA CEUs. Course registration includes a software license to StepUp to Learn, a cloud-based curriculum platform accessible on iPads, computers, smartboards, and Apple TV.
The Integrated Rhythms Nanodegree includes (3) three programs:
- Program 0
- Program 1
- Program 2
This course is ideal for interventionists working in private practice. School-based therapists should complete the Tools for Learning Nanodegree.
StepUp Learning Outcomes
1. Implement the StepUp programs to help children develop neurological learning readiness: rhythmic integration of balance, hand movement, foot movement, auditory entrainment, and speech.
2. Use neurological learning readiness as a tool for automating basic academic skills such as reading decoding, retrieval of math facts, and handwriting.
3. Identify and explain to clients how the auditory and vestibular systems play key roles in the representation of visual-motor space and in the motor representation of auditory information.
4. Describe how the calibration of vestibular space and the calibration of mathematical space are complementary areas of brain function, and how the accurate calibration of vestibular space can improve the speed and accuracy of math computation and visualization.
5. Demonstrate key StepUp movement exercises that integrate balance, movement, listening and speaking as well as written exercises that integrate auditory memory, speech, and handwriting.
Nancy W. Rowe created the StepUp Programs to address learning disabilities through vestibular and auditory therapy procedures that develop temporal processing. She has an undergraduate degree in Speech Education from New York University, and a graduate degree in Speech and Hearing Science from Washington University in St. Louis. She has presented at conferences and workshops in the US, Europe, and Central and South America. Ms. Rowe is a member of the American Academy of Audiology and the American Speech and Hearing Association. She currently maintains a private practice in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
What Other Therapists Say
I have started the Integrated Rhythms Nanodegree online and I'm thrilled. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm so happy with what I'm learning that I will be taking the other workshops no matter how they are offered. But I definitely prefer the online format. I believe I am getting much more out of the online workshop than I would the live workshop because I can pause the video to take notes and rewind to listen again. This was especially helpful during the Neuroscience of NeuroNet lecture when Mrs. Rowe was explaining synaptic strengthening and post-synaptic depolarization. Powerful information that supports all that I have been reading while in search of answers. This lecture connected a lot of dots for me and gave me a very clear picture of how StepUp will help my students.
-Sig Cooper, Speech and Language Pathologist
StepUp is approved by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) to offer CEUs for this course. You are eligible to receive continuing education credits if you successfully complete the online course and short answer questions. The Integrated Rhythms Nanodegree offers up to 1.2 AOTA CEUs, equivalent to 12 contact hours.
AOTA Course Classification Information
Instructional/Educational Level: Introductory/Intermediate
Content Focus: Category 1: Category 1 - Domain of Occupational Therapy: Client Factors and Performance Skills, Category 2 - Occupational Therapy Process: Evaluation and Intervention
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
You must be a licensed therapist to become StepUp Certified:
- speech-language pathologists
- physical therapists
- occupational therapists
- COTAs, SLPAs, PTAs
Once you complete the Integrated Rhythms Nanodegree you are eligible to apply for Certification. The requirements of Certification go beyond the minimum requirements to obtain CEUs. Additional certification requirements for therapists help us assure that StepUp clients have a positive experience with the program.